Thursday, July 9, 2009

Patti and my life collide to screw me

UPDATE: Patti's fixed (07-10-09)! And, I get a piece of this story tomorrow!

As a reporting intern at one of the world's leading news organizations, I am available to be their "b*@#&." If they want me to cover chickens, I'm there. Sit outside a door for four hours in case something happens? I'm there. Drive an hour and a half to a train derailment on my day off? There. And, honestly, I love to do it. Any assignment is interesting to me. Even the ones that no one wants. I'm mostly excited to be doing what I love to do.

But, today, I couldn't be there.

I work noon to 8 p.m. this week. At 10:30 a.m., the office called and asked me to head out to a cemetery a grave-robbing scandal is unfolding. I felt the adrenaline rushing through my body. Out on a weird assignment for the day? That's got my name written all over it. And this is huge! Emmett Till is buried in that historical African American cemetery!

Then, I remembered that Patti -- my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder -- doesn't like me this week. And, I had to let another reporter go to the assignment.

I'm so bummed.

No comments:

Post a Comment